We are excited to invite you to our Conference on 21st May in Southampton. The theme this year is Hearts Together with a focus on wellbeing, social interaction, and peer support – bringing congenital hearts together from all over the country.
This year’s varied and interesting agenda has been devised in collaboration with patients and healthcare professionals. Talks include CHD – a patient’s perspective and ‘From jelly beans to whiskey – What I wish I’d known about anaesthesia for congenital heart disease 30 years ago’. You will also be able to join in with small group discussions, and enjoy the chance to meet like-minded individuals and share experiences.
Book Your Place
The delegate rate for those signed up as Friends (subsidised by the charity) is £15.00pp plus booking fee.
Watch Our Video
Here are some of the speakers for the day:
- Lynda Tellett, Cardiac Nurse Specialist, Southampton – planning Life – hopes, dreams and realities
- Tom Pierce, retired cardiac anaesthetist – From jelly beans to whiskey – what I wish I’d known about anaesthesia 30 years ago
- Louisa Nielsen, Principal Cardiothoracic and Adult Congenital Heart Physiotherapist (ACHP), University Hospital Southampton – The benefits, considerations and top tips for exercising with a congenital heart condition
- Emma Weingart, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Oxford – Networks & ACHD nursing
- Richard Bird – Somerville Heart Foundation Mental Health and Wellbeing Counsellor – Self compassion in a threatening world
- Just Deinum, Advocate of the Patient Association Congenital Heart Disorders (PAH) in the Netherlands
- Laraine Sturrock, Patient – CHD patient perspective
- Leigh Nisbett, Somerville Heart Foundation Trustee – The tale of the medical secretary
- Tom & Tony Davies – Travelling Light – A Moving Experience
*Please note: All talks are subject to change
Book Your Place
The delegate rate for those signed up to Somerville Heart Foundation (subsidised by the charity) is £15.00pp plus booking fee. An optional dinner can be booked at £30pp plus booking fee, menu choices will need to be ordered and paid for in advance.
Not yet joined us?
It’s free to join – sign up to Somerville Heart Foundation to be eligible to book a place at the Conference.
Conference 2022 FAQ’s
Will the event be Covid safe?
- We’re limiting the number of delegates so there is plenty of space for us all to enjoy the day
- Hand sanitiser and masks will be available
- Everyone attending is invited to take a Lateral Flow Test prior to the event, if you wish for us to send you a lateral flow test, please order one when booking your tickets on Eventbrite, so we know how many to order
- Delegates will be seated at large tables to allow for social distancing should they wish
- 3 syndicate rooms will be open on the day to enable everyone to remain socially distanced
- Delegates are welcome to leave rooms at any time for fresh air
- We will ensure windows are opened where possible to ensure air flow.
Why do I need to join Somerville Heart Foundation to attend the event?
The event is subsidised as part of our service offering to those signed up to Somerville Heart Foundation. In order to attend, you will need to be signed up as either a Friend, Supporter or Patron. Sign up to Somerville Heart Foundation here.
Can I bring a partner/friend?
If your partner will be attending the conference with you they will need to pay for a place. The costs for the day, including lunch and facilities is £30pp.
Can my child attend?
The conference is for adults only, there are no childcare facilities at the venue.
I am a Supporter / Patron – do I still need to pay for a place at the Conference?
- One of the benefits of joining us as a Supporter / Patron is a free place at the Conference
- A delegate place costs us £30pp + fees and we are offering to ‘Friends’ at the subsidised rate of £15pp plus booking fee – click here to book!
- We understand the cost of attending has usually been fully subsidised but this is not something we can continue to offer. We, as many other charities, have suffered a loss of income as a result of the pandemic. If as a Supporter you feel able to pay for your ticket, this helps us to provide more support to more people
- Supporters and Patrons have been emailed a unique code to book. If you have not received this code please contact the office prior to booking.
Will the Conference be recorded?
- We are seeking volunteers (preferably with their own equipment) to help us with recording the main event
- We are not currently able to live stream but will try to record some of the main talks.
Where will the Conference be held?
- Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue, Southampton, SO15 1HJ on 21st May 2022
- There will be a three course dinner afterwards, at an additional cost of £30.00pp from 7pm with pre-orders required via Eventbrite booking
Where can I stay near the Conference venue?
- The Conference is taking place at the Holiday Inn – rooms can be booked there. If you are planning on staying at the venue please tell them you are attending the Somerville Conference.
Further suggestions are:
What can I do nearby?
- Check out the Tourist Information – why not make a weekend of it?!
- If you enjoy walking then take a look at these suggested routes in Southampton to make the most of your time there before or after the Conference.
What are the local taxi services?
Southampton taxis – 02380 005 005
Radio Taxis – 023 80 666 666
West Quay Cars – 023 80 999 999
Which train station is nearby?
Southampton Central Station is approximately 1 mile from the Conference venue.